Hector Lombard Suspended For One Year
UFC welterweight Hector Lombard has been suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for one year after the former Bellator middleweight champion failed a post-fight drug test after his January 3rd win over Josh Burkman at UFC 182.
A Bottle of Pills
During the NSAC hearing last Monday, Lombard said that a “friend” of his gave him a bottle of pills before he flew to Las Vegas for UFC 182. He claimed that he felt “a little down” on the day before the fight and took one of the pills. It turned out that the pill contained an anabolic steroid known as desoxymethyltestosterone or DMT which was found in Lombard’s samples.
Lombard, who attended the hearing via conference call, apologized to the UFC, his team and fans for the incident. He asked the commission for a “second chance” citing his age and his claim that he “unknowingly” took a banned substance. He said that “it was a mistake” to trust a person he shouldn’t have. But despite his pleas, the commission stood firm on giving him a one-year ban.
Aside from the suspension, the NSAC also levied a 33% fine on his purse of $53,000.00 and a fine on his $53,000 win bonus or a total of $70,490.00. The fight was also overturned as a no-contest the UFC’s records.
Was On a Streak
The 37-year old Brazilian is a 10-year pro who has held various titles in the past. Lombard was the inaugural CFC Middleweight champion who made four consecutive title defenses before winning the Bellator Middleweight championship at Bellator Season 1 Middleweight Tournament. Lombard also won the inaugural AFC Middleweight title in Australia before coming to the UFC.
After going 1-2 to start his UFC career with heartbreaking split decision losses to Tim Boetsch and Yushin Okami, Lombard went on a three fight winning streak with impressive wins over Nate Marquardt, Jake Shields and Josh Burkman before that third win was overturned by the NSAC. Lombard rose to #5 in the UFC welterweight rankings before his suspension and he was booked to fight #2 ranked Rory MacDonald in the latter’s hometown of Montreal Canada at UFC 186
A win over MacDonald would have given him an almost automatic title shot, as the current champion Robbie Lawler was expected to face former champion Johny Hendricks in a rematch after Hendricks’ win last March 14. The winner of the MacDonald-Lombard was supposed to get the next title shot. Instead, MacDonald got his long wish of a title shot via a shorter route, by getting booked against Lawler at UFC 189 on July 11. For Lombard, the road now looks farther than ever and given his age, it’s a legitimate concern for him.
If you followed last week's daily fantasy football optimal lineup even slig[...]
Premium online gaming company NetEnt continues to show positive growth, wi[...]
The United Kingdom has announced plans to review the gambling machines that[...]
The Miami Dolphins got some shocking news on Tuesday morning, when star run[...]