15th Annual European Poker Award Nominees Announced
The 15th Annual European Poker Awards are but a month away and as such, the nominees for nine categories have been announced. 62 members of the poker industry, including players, media members, and poker executives, submitted ballots for the awards, weeding the list of nominees down to four or five per category. A jury of undisclosed composition will now review the nominations and select the winners.
Two awards that will be given out on May 3rd at the Monte Carlo Bay Hotel & Resort during the European Poker Tour (EPT) Grand Final did not require nominations. Instead, the GPI European Poker Player of the Year and GPI European Female Poker Player of the Year awards were determined based on how players ranked in the GPI Player of the Year rankings for 2015. Fedor Holz came out on top for GPI POY while Liv Boeree will receive the GPI Female Player of the Year trophy.
The complete list of nominees and categories for the 15th Annual European Poker Awards follows. And no, once again, I failed to make the cut for Media Person of the Year. It’s all a sham if you ask me. Well, except that I’m not European. Still, though.
Media Person of the Year
- Lee Davy
- Frank Op de Woerd
- Remko Rinkema
- Neil Stoddart
Industry Person of the Year
- Hermance Blum
- Thomas Lamatsch
- Edgar Stuchly
- Luca Vivaldi
- Rob Yong
Breakout Player of the Year
- Charlie Carrel
- Fedor Holz
- Rainer Kempe
- Dzmitry Urbanovich
Tournament Performance of the Year
- Barny Boatman wins second career WSOP bracelet at WSOP Europe
- Fedor Holz wins WPT Alpha8 Las Vegas
- Mustapha Kanit wins EPT Barcelona 10K High Roller
- Adrian Mateos wins 2015 EPT Grand Final Main Event
Event of the Year (Buy-in up to €2,000)
- Estrellas Poker Tour Barcelona
- Norwegian Championships Norway Cup
- PokerListings Battle of Malta
- WPT500 at Dusk Till Dawn
Event of the Year (Buy-in Over €2,000)
- EPT Barcelona Main Event
- EPT Grand Final Main Event
- EPT Prague Main Event
- WSOP Europe Main Event
Poker Innovation or Initiative of the Year
- Norwegian Championship broadcast (sports style)
- PokerStars Play Along App – Interactive Poker on TV
- PokerStars using superstar athletes for global campaign
- WSOP Europe remote Twitch broadcasts
Moment of the Year
- Dzmitry Urbanovich wins Crazy Pineapple tourney at EPT Malta for his fourth win of the series
- Epic hand between Mateos and Lodden at EPT Grand Final
- John Gale returns from three years off because of brain tumor and wins second WSOP bracelet
- Pierre Neuville qualifies for the WSOP November Nine after declaring he wasn’t done
Poker Media Content of the Year
- “The Future of Poker in the Post-Boom Era” — Sam Grafton blog
- “The Thrill of Victory, The Agony of Defeat” — Neil Stoddart’s picture captures Montury consoling Messina at EPT Malta
- “Devilfish: A Friend with a Heart of Gold” — PokerNews article by Jesse May and Mickey May
- Remko Report, PokerNews Podcast, August 2015 — Eli Elezra talks about his time in the Israeli Army and high stakes poker with legends
The UK Gambling Commission released some interesting numbers on Thursday. T...
According to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst, the Miami Heat and forward Chris Bos...
The NFL owners are currently meeting all week long in Chicago, and they’v...
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’re probably aware of the ne...