Conor McGregor Reaches Plea Deal in Light of Bus Brawl
UFC superstar Conor McGregor pleaded guilty on Thursday to a disorderly conduct charge stemming from his prominent role in an incident back on April 5 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. As a part of a plea deal with the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office, McGregor entered the guilty plea that will not result in jail time and will not affect the Irishman’s travel visa. The incident will also not go on to McGregor’s criminal record.
Other parameters of the deal include a full restitution to the bus company for any damages sustained to the bus involved in the aforementioned incident. McGregor has reportedly already fulfilled that financial obligation. The 30-year-old will also have to complete 5 days of community service and participate in an anger management program that may last between 1 and 3 days.
After the matter was resolved, McGregor said, “I just want to say I’m thankful to the DA and the judge for allowing me to move forward. I want to say to my friends, my family, my fans – thank you for your support.”
McGregor initially faced 12 criminal charges for his involvement in the incident, including a couple of felony criminal mischief charges. Said charges came with a maximum of 7 years in prison.
In April, McGregor was seen on video throwing a dolly through the window of a parked bus inside the loading dock at Barclays Center as a part of a melee between his posse and a group including fellow lightweight fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov. Nurmagomedov was on the bus during the time of the incident but escaped unscathed.
A couple of other UFC fighters – lightweight Chiesa and flyweight Borg, reportedly suffered minor injuries that resulted in both being pulled from their scheduled fight on April 7.
Another MMA fighter, McGregor friend Cian Cowley, was also arrested for his involvement. He, too, pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct on Thursday.
The Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office issued a statement that said, “This is a fair resolution that holds the defendant accountable, ensures restitution for the victims and requires the defendant to perform community service where he can reflect on his conduct and give back to society.”
Now that the legal matter has been resolved, McGregor figures to make his way back into the octagon before long. The Dublin native has not appeared in a UFC event since November of 2016. His last appearance in any sort of fight was his boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather in August of last year. McGregor lost via TKO in what was one of the biggest boxing matches in history.
A potential rematch between McGregor and Mayweather in the octagon seems likely to happen at some point, but McGregor is more likely to square off with Nurmagomedov first. A fight between McGregor (12-3) and Nurmagomedov (26-0) may be one of the biggest UFC events in the history of the sport if it comes to pass.
By the end of the week, before the Easter holiday weekend, Montana’s Sena...
Despite having a huge number of gambling fans, New Zealand has yet to regul...
Pennsylvania legalized sports betting more than 16 months ago. Until very r...
Indiana legislators are still working on the details of S 552, a sports bet...