Fury vs Wilder 3 Postponed After Tyson Fury Tests Positive For the Virus

By in Sports on
3 Minute Read

The trilogy fight between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder is off after Fury tested positive for COVID-19.

Rumors of the fight possibly being postponed swirled on Thursday after ESPN reported that an outbreak had occurred in the Fury camp. Although the article did not give the specifics, it said the sudden turn of events will inevitably cause the postponement of the bout.

Fury’s promoter, Top Rank, was quick to deny those rumors by issuing a statement saying that the event has not changed to date:

However, as more reports emerged, it was learned that Fury himself tested positive for the virus which was the smoking gun in this unfortunate turn of events.

Tyson Fury Tests Positive for COVID-19

According to boxing reporter Dan Rafael, Fury was one of three members of his team that tested positive. Rafael says that the Gypsy King got one dose of vaccine but never got the second. He also added that Fury is symptomatic and cannot continue with his training. That’s what ultimately caused the postponement.

Sources Say That Fury Is Likely to Return to England to Quarantine and Get Well

He will return to the United States when he is able to train again. As for the fight, it could be pushed back to after September. The promoters do not want to compete with Manny Pacquiao vs Errol Spence on August 21st and Canelo Alvarez’s expected fight during the second or third week of September.

Fury and Wilder fought to a controversial draw the first time they fought in December 2018. However, Fury left no doubt when he stopped Wilder inside seven rounds during their rematch in February 2020, just before the outbreak. They were booked to a third fight at least twice but the pandemic prevented it from happening. Neither fighter has fought since their last encounter.

Fury vs Joshua Will Be Pushed Back Farther

The postponement of the Fury vs Wilder 3 bout would also mean that the potential heavyweight title unification with Anthony Joshua would be pushed back even further. That bout was already booked for August 14th in Saudia Arabia last May but one day after Fury officially announced it, a legal arbitrator ruled that he had to fight Wilder before September 15th.

With Wilder ruining their plans, Joshua’s promoter and Top Rank were looking at re-booking the all-British title unification for later this year. Earlier this month, Arum already talked about the first fight being held in the UK. It can be recalled that when Fury and Joshua finally agreed to fight each other, the two decided that they would do it twice.

Joshua is now in talks to fight Oleksandr Usyk and a deal for that fight is nearing completion. Fury meanwhile will have to regroup and finish his contractual obligation with Wilder later this year. Under the current scenario, we may not be seeing Fury fight Joshua until early next year or summer.

Steve Richardson

Steve Richardson started writing content online in 2013 and has yet to slow down. Since joining our team at GamblingSites.org, he has covered sports, casino news, gambling laws, and much more! ...

View all posts by Steve Richardson
Email the author at: [email protected]