Gold Coast to Consider New Casino Resort Proposal
Just a few weeks ago, plans for a new casino resort in Gold Coast, Australia, was rejected by the Queensland government. Now, a new project has emerged.
On Friday, the Gold Coast City Council prepared a new proposal for the development of an integrated resort and informed Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk about the new plans in a letter sent from Mayor Tom Tate back on August 8. At the time the last project was turned down, Palaszczuk said that the Gold Coast casino license was still available and that new proposals would be heard.
The new plan proposes the construction of a casino complex at a site in the middle of Southport. The site currently includes the Southport Bowls Club and the Queen’s Park Tennis Club in addition to Carey Park. The existing facilities would likely be relocated or incorporated into other local sports clubs in the area if the casino proposal gets the green light.
A Chinese group of investors, ASF Consortium, were backing the recently-rejected resort plan. They had proposed the construction of a five-tower casino resort at a different site on the Southport Spit, near Sea World. A developer had been selected to build a Southport complex in 2014 that proposed the construction of a $7 billion casino resort on Wavebreak Island, but that, too, was rejected.
The ASF Consortium proposal would have cost $3 billion.
The newest plan includes a site located very near a portion of land owned by ASF Consortium. In 2016, the same developer was granted government approval to continue with construction of a two-tower complex in the area. The project included a 66-story “gold” tower and an accompanying 15-story tower.
That same site had reportedly been brought up in discussions regarding where to build a casino, as well. Gold Coast City Councilors have also talked about the newest resort proposal. The plan was met with support from some and opposition from others.
Southport Councilor Dawn Crichlow was opposed to the new casino project. She told local media members that the proposed casino site had previously been designated as open space for recreation and that she believes it should stay that way forever. Of course, adding a casino to the area would disrupt that park space.
The Gold Coast City Council is still awaiting response to its letter to Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.
On June 19th of this year, Maine’s proposed sports betting bill passed bo...
Washington, DC is coming under scrutiny for its recent sports betting licen...
Puerto Rico is falling on hard times. A major debt crisis and Hurricane Mar...
Regulators and operators in Indiana hope to open their sports betting opera...