Marcos Maidana Threatens to Pull Out From Mayweather Bout
Argentinian challenger Marcos Maidana ( 35-4 with 31 knockouts) has threatened to walk away from his September 13th rematch against Floyd Mayweather Jr. ( 46-0 with 26 KOs) if he won’t be permitted to wear his favorite Everlast MX gloves during the fight. These are the same kind of gloves which Mayweather and his camp rejected during their first fight last May.
It can be recalled that Mayweather and his camp vehemently protested Maidana’s use of his MX gloves because they claimed that the Argentine was using a custom made version which had less padding than the already-thinly wrapped original version of Everlast. This was discovered when Mayweather’s team inspected the gloves days before the fight and found out that it had a thin padding on the knuckle area which could easily cut a fighter. However, Maidana insisted on using his “puncher’s gloves” since it was one that was approved by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. But when Mayweather threatened to call-off the bout when it was one day away, Maidana’s team gave in to the champion’s demands and changed his gloves.
Will Walk Away
This time around, Maidana sounds like he doesn’t want to be dictated anymore. In an interview with fighthype.com Maidana said that the MX gloves is “what he’d like to fight in and if not, we’ll see what happens.” Maidana added that “if he has to walk away an not fight”, he will do it.
But Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe said last Tuesday that the issue on the gloves has been settled and Maidana has agreed to use the Everlast Powerlock gloves instead. However, Maidana’s statements which came at a later date only proved that both parties are once again at odds with the fighters’ gloves with about two weeks left before fight night.
Mayweather and Maidana fought a rugged but close fight last May where Mayweather prevailed by majority decision with the scores of 117-11, 116-112 and 114-114. Although Floyd clearrly won on points, Maidana landed the most punches on Mayweather than any other opponent in his last 38 fights and the once “unbeatable” Money man of boxing looked vulnerable for the first time since his fight against Jose Luis Castillo in 2002.
After the verdict was read, Maidana protested the decision and immediately asked for a rematch. And since Mayweather could not find a worthy foe for his second fight of 2014, a rematch with the Argentine slugger became inevitable.
The match was made but like before, controversies are hounding the event as it draws nearer. The argument on the gloves was expected, as Maidana is a knockout artist and Mayweather is a slick boxer. Sluggers do not use heavily padded gloves to accentuate their power punching. Also, the close nature of the first fight has made both boxers fight for the slightest advantage they could get over the other, as it could spell the difference in the rematch.
Let’s just hope Maidana’s not serious in walking away from the fight as the build up and preparation is complete. It would be a total disaster and a big black eye for the sport of boxing if this fight doesn’t push through.
In a move that is not entirely surprising, Leicester City have decided to s...
Recently, Macau casino operators have been in the news for butting heads wi...
Last month, Florida Senator Bill Galvano proposed legislation to expand gam...
While Superbowl LI was one of the biggest events in recent Vegas bookmaking...