Ridondeaux – Avalos Ordered by WBO to Fight
Super-bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux was ordered by the WBO to defend his title against top contender Chris Avalos.
The WBO has given both parties 30 days to reach a deal, otherwise a purse bid with a minimum of $100,000 will be ordered. Rigondeaux was last in action on May 31, when he ended Sod Kokietgym’s 36 fight winning streak via first round knockout in Macau, China.
Although that bout was Rigondeaux’s last under his expired Top Rank promotional contract, the former two time Olympic gold medalist may find himself fighting under Top Rank for this bout since his opponent Chris Avalos is promoted by Top Rank. Currently, Rigo is being handled by his co-promoter Caribe Promotions.
Top Rank president Bob Arum liked the idea and said that they will “purse that fight” adding that Avalos “should give him a good fight.”
Avalos has won five consecutive matches, including the IBF super bantamweight eliminator against Yasutaka Ishimoto last May at the Rigondeaux undercard in Macau. Avalos has a record of 24-6 with 18 knockouts. He has not lost since dropping a split decision to Jhonathan Romero in 2011.
Ridondeaux’s manager Gary Hyde confided to ringtv.com that they are “currently not interested” in fighting Chris Avalos. Hyde said that they are looking at fighting boxers with world titles like Kiko Martinez and Leo Sta. Cruz. He believes that if they present a title unification bout, the WBO will accommodate them.
It can be recalled that after winning his bout against Kokietgym last month, Rigondeaux called out the two division world champion and current WBC super-bantamweight champion Sta. Cruz for a title unification bout. Hyde adds that they will try to make a bout with either Sta. Cruz or Martinez within the 30 day deadline set by the WBO.
But WBO president Francisco Valcarcel stood by his order and said that the mandatory defense “has been due for a long time” and said that they will proceed with the purse bid if no deal is made within the prescribed period.
Leo Sta Cruz is also a fight that Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya wants to make. De La Hoya believes that St. Cruz will “run Guillermo out of the ring.” Sta. Cruz agreed and said that he would “apply constant pressure” on the slick counter punching Cuban “Jackal” and “stay on top of him 100%” so that Rigondeaux “wouldn’t know what to do.”
The 24 year old Sta. Cruz is one of the sport’s fast rising stars because of his exciting and aggressive fighting style. He captured the WBC super-bantamweight by stopping Victor Terrazas in August 2013 and has defended the belt twice against Cesar Seda last December and Christian Mijares in March.
One of the Best
Technically, Rigondeaux is one of the world’s best boxers. But his lack of fan base and boring defensive style has made the giant networks like HBO stay away from his fights. Between Avalos and Sta. Cruz, the best fight to make would be against the latter, because if he stays true to his new “promise of giving action fights”, Rigo will have his hands full with the explosive Sta. Cruz.
He may have to be stripped of his WBO belt if he pursues that fight though, but with the high reward of recognition, the high risk of fighting an elite boxer like Sta. Cruz is what Rigo’s career needs right now.
According to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst, the Miami Heat and forward Chris Bos...
The NFL owners are currently meeting all week long in Chicago, and they’v...
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’re probably aware of the ne...
WSOP POY Formula Changed While it takes a back seat to the Main Event and ...