Minnesota Texas Holdem Poker Room Reviews
You'll be able to find some great action in Minnesota when it comes to Texas holdem poker. Due to state laws, you won't find any no limit cash games as there must be a limit on how much each player can bet. The way that many poker rooms have gotten around this is offering spread limit holdem games with limits on the buy in amount which effectively make the maximum bet an all in bet anyway.
No limit holdem can be played in tournaments as per usual, which is nice. On top of the spread limit games you'll also be able to find plenty of limit games at medium and high stakes which means if you're looking to make some decent money you can still do so.
The poker room at Canterbury Park is the biggest and best in Minnesota, offering a huge number of games and multiple tournaments each day. After this, the best rooms can be found at Fortune Bay Casino and Shooting Star Casino.
Poker is still relatively popular in Minnesota, yet like many other states the game has taken a hit since black Friday and the attempted shutdown of online poker. You'll still find many people taking to the felt and battling out. The general standard of play is much higher than 5 to 10 years ago, but you should be able to find an edge if you pick the right times to play.
Black Bear Casino Resort
- LocationCarlton, Minnesota
- Hours24 hours, 7 days
- GamesNo limit holdem tournaments are held on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday with a buy in ranging from $35 up to $120 on weekends. For the cash players out there they spread $2 / $10, $2 / $20, $2 / $40 and $2 / $60 spread limit holdem.
- AmbienceThis non-smoking poker room features TVs on the walls to keep you entertained while you play. The tables and chairs are standard yet comfortable.
- HospitalityYou'll be served with cocktails and food while you play in this poker room.
- PlayersYou'll come across mostly older regulars in this poker room with the play being passive and slow. You should be able to do well, but you'll need some patience and will have to pick your spots wisely.
- LocationShakopee, Minnesota
- Hours24 hours, 7 days
- GamesYou'll find up to three no limit holdem tournaments here every day, with the buy in ranging from $50 up to over $1000. Call ahead to check on precise buy in figures. If you are looking for a cash game you'll find $2 / $4, $3 / $6, $4 / $8, $6 / $12, $8 / $16, $20 / $40 and $40 / $80 limit holdem, $2 / $4 stud, $6 / $12 limit Omaha 8 or better and $30 / $60 mixed games. They also offer some spread limit holdem games to satisfy the no limit enthusiasts out there.
- AmbienceThis nice poker room is open and spacious with TVs across the walls in a completely non-smoking environment. The green felt tables are comfortable and clean and sit amongst bright red carpet and beige and brown decor. It makes for a very nice looking room which is just great to play poker in.
- HospitalityComps can be earned at a rate of $1 to $1.50 per hour depending on stakes played through the MVP Rewards Card. On top of this you'll receive food and cocktail service at the table and they also run jackpots and promotions to keep you coming back.
- PlayersThis is a poker player's paradise; everyone is friendly and welcoming and loves the game, so if you are in the same boat you'll really enjoy playing here. The play will be tough, but certainly still beatable. Dealers and management are mostly friendly and welcoming.
Fortune Bay Casino
- LocationTower, Minnesota
- HoursOpen Thursday and Friday from 4pm, Saturday and Sunday from 12pm
- GamesNo limit hold' em tournaments are held on Friday and Saturday at 6pm with a buy in of $55 and $110 respectively. If you are looking for a ring game you'll find a range of spread limit holdem games to satisfy your needs.
- AmbienceThis non-smoking poker room is partially separated by a half wall from the rest of the casino. They have some TVs in the room to keep you entertained while playing and the maroon and white felt tables are clean and complimented by comfortable seating.
- HospitalityThis poker room features a progressive bad beat jackpot and some high hand bonus prizes. You'll be served cocktails at the table and comps can be earned through the Wild Edge Players Club.
- PlayersIt will be quite random most of the time at the tables here, you'll notice the same few regulars playing a lot of the time with visitors and amateurs making up the rest of the table. The vibe is welcoming and fun and no one takes it too seriously.
Grand Casino Mille Lacs
- LocationOnamia, Minnesota
- HoursOpen Monday to Friday from 10am, Saturday and Sunday open 24 hours
- GamesNo limit holdem tournaments are held from Thursday to Monday with the buy in fluctuating from $40 to $100. Sometimes two tournaments are offered on a day. If you are looking for a cash game you'll find $2 / $10 and $5 / $60 spread limit holdem and $3 / $6 limit holdem.
- AmbienceThis poker room features black and grey table felt amongst a beige and brown decor. The poker room is well lit and features TVs on the walls for your viewing pleasure. It's also completely no-smoking for your comfort.
- HospitalityComps can be earned at 50 cents per hour through the Grand Rewards Players Club. On top of this they offer players food service at the tables. They also run a progressive bad beat jackpot for their cash games.
- PlayersYou'll come across a lot of local regulars in this poker room making the play quite tough. If you don't have a super strong game, consider visiting during the busy hours when the tables are slightly softer. The general vibe in the room is fun and welcoming.
Northern Lights Casino - Walker
- LocationWalker, Minnesota
- HoursMonday and Wednesday to Saturday from 10am, Tuesday from 12pm, and closed on Sunday
- GamesNo limit holdem tournaments are held on all days they are open except Wednesday. They also offer a limit holdem tournament from time to time. The buy in will range from $20 up to $125. If you are looking for a ring game they spread $3 / $6 limit Omaha 8 or better, $1 / $5 stud and $3 / $6 and $4 / $8 limit holdem.
- AmbienceThis small poker area is no smoking and has TVs that are viewable from the table to keep you entertained between hands. The tables and chairs are clean and comfortable and the lighting is decent for a long session.
- HospitalityPlayers will receive 50 cents per hour in points and 25 cents per hour in points while playing here. Comps are doubled on Wednesdays. You'll also be served cocktails and food at the table and they have a range of promotions and a jackpot.
- PlayersYou'll come across softer players here who are mostly amateurs. While this sounds good it will take a lot of patience and skill to ride out the variance involved with playing such villains. You can probably find much better value in games elsewhere.
Running Aces Harness Park
- LocationForest Lake, Minnesota
- Hours24 hours, 7 days
- GamesIf you are looking for a cash game you'll find $2 / $100 and $5 / $100 spread limit holdem, $4 / $8 limit Omaha 8 or better, $2 / $4 and $3 / $6 limit holdem and $2 / $4 stud games running. Sometimes they will open up higher stakes limit holdem tables if there's sufficient demand. For the tournament players out there they run up to three tournaments per day. Most are no limit holdem with the buy in ranging from free rolls up to $150.
- AmbienceThis room is spacious and open with red, green and gold carpets set amongst beige, brown and yellow decor. Tables and chairs are simple yet clean and TVs are viewable from most seats so you can stay entertained while you play. The room is also non-smoking for your comfort.
- HospitalityComps can be earned at $1 per hour through the Running Aces Rewards Club. If you are playing higher stakes games you can earn $5 per hour. You'll also receive cocktail and food service at the table so you can push out your session that little bit longer.
- PlayersDue to the size of this poker room and the fact there are always multiple tables running you'll always find a game that suits you here. The play is solid with some amateurs softening this up a bit on weekends. Dealers and management are great and ensure that a fun time is had by all. This is a great option for poker in Minnesota.
Seven Clans Casino Thief River Falls
- LocationThief River Falls, Minnesota
- HoursOpen Monday and Thursday to Saturday from 6pm
- GamesOnly cash games are offered here with $2 / $100 spread limit holdem being the game.
- AmbienceThis small poker area is no smoking with clean and well maintained tables and comfortable chairs. TVs are viewable from the table so you can stay across the latest sports scores while you play.
- HospitalityYou'll receive food service while you play poker in this casino. They also offer players some promotions and a jackpot, as well as comps through The Club rewards program.
- PlayersIt's going to be very random in respect to who you come across while playing poker in this casino. So take your time and assess each villain at the table before you start making moves.
Shooting Star Casino
- LocationMahnomen, Minnesota
- HoursMonday to Thursday from 4pm, Friday from 2pm and Saturday and Sunday from 11am
- GamesNo limit holdem tournaments are offered Friday to Sunday with a buy in of $90, $80 and $60 respectively. On top of this they spread $2 / $10 and $3 / $20 spread limit holdem cash games.
- AmbienceThis room features TVs on the walls and is no smoking for your comfort. The maroon felt tables are clean and the furnishings in the room are comfortable so you can push out your session longer.
- HospitalityYou'll be served with drinks and food at the table while you play in the Shooting Star Casino poker room. They also run a bad beat jackpot and offer aces cracked prizes on certain days of the week, usually a Sunday.
- PlayersThe local regulars here are friendly and welcoming, which is great for the game. On top of this dealers and management go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. Throw in the loose players which come to the tables over the weekends and you've got a pretty awesome poker room.
Treasure Island Casino
- LocationWelch, Minnesota
- HoursMonday and Wednesday from 4pm, Thursday from 8pm and open 24 hours on Saturday and Sunday
- GamesNo limit holdem tournaments are held on Thursday, Friday and Saturday with a buy in of $110, $50 and $65 respectively. They also spread $2 / $6, $2 / $10, $2 / $60 and $4 / $20 spread limit holdem cash games.
- AmbienceThis small poker room is partially separate from the rest of the casino and is completely non-smoking. The wooden decor is very nice on the eye with soft lighting and traditional chairs and tables. TVs are strategically placed around the room to keep you entertained while the guy on the button repeatedly tank calls.
- HospitalityComps can be earned through the Island Passport Club and you'll also be served cocktails and food while at the table playing. They also have a range of promotions and a jackpot to push your drop and rake dollars further.
- PlayersYou'll come across some tough regulars and some crazy amateurs in this poker room. Embrace it and you should have a lot of fun. The dealers are good here and have in depth knowledge of the game and always go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome.
Minnesota isn't considered a Texas holdem mecca, but the state has plenty of options for player who are willing to travel a short distance. The next time you plan to visit the state, or look for a new game of holdem if you live in Minnesota, check out our in depth listings to find a great place to play.