Wisconsin Texas Holdem Poker Room Reviews
Wisconsin has many great options in relation to Texas holdem poker rooms and you won't have to travel too far to find a table near you.
This state boasts, albeit perhaps infamously, that it's the birthplace of one of poker's biggest names in Phil Hellmuth. Irrespective of what you think of the man, he's a fantastic no limit Texas holdem tournament player and he has the record of the most WSOP bracelets of all time.
In any case, the poker scene is alive and well in the state with a few great options. Particularly Potawatomi Hotel and Casino, which has the biggest poker room in the state and is a 24 hour a day 7 days a week operation. After this the Ho Chunk Wisconsin Dells is the next best poker room that you'll find in the state.
Given Wisconsin has such a vibrant poker community you'd think they would be taking steps to regulate online play, but unfortunately this is not the case. You can't play any online poker in the state, unless you roll the dice and play with an offshore provider that accepts US players, and we wouldn't recommend that.
The state offers a vast range of gambling options with pari-mutuel betting on horse and dog racing being permitted. Casinos can operate, as is evidenced by the below listed poker rooms, but these must be based on native Indian reservations.
Finally, the state also runs and regulates the state lottery which allows residents to purchase tickets for major lotteries like Powerball and Mega Millions, as well as state based draws and instant win games.
But back to poker, because that's what we care about the most. The standard of play in Wisconsin is good without being great.
You'll come across mostly amateurs battling it out in the smaller poker rooms with the better players going to the larger rooms where there is more action and higher stakes. If you have a decent game you should still be able to find a good edge in the larger poker rooms though, so don't be too concerned.
List of Wisconsin Poker Rooms
Here is our compiled list of all the poker rooms you can find in the state of Wisconsin:
Bad River Lodge & Casino
- LocationOdanah, Wisconsin
- HoursWednesday from 5pm until 2am and Saturday from 6pm until 2am
- GamesNo tournaments are offered at the Bad River Lodge and Casino and you'll only find a $1 / $2 no limit holdem cash game running when they are open.
- AmbienceThis small poker area in the main Casino features two tables which are clean and well maintained. The lighting and chairs are comfortable enough for a longer session and no smoking is permitted at the table. Unfortunately, they don't have any TVs around the table so you'll have to people watch to stay entertained between hands.
- HospitalityYou'll only get food service while you play poker at this Casino. On top of this they sometimes run some jackpots and promotions to keep you coming back for more.
- PlayersThe players in this poker room, which is only just two tables in the Casino, will be quite random. You could come across some good players every now and then but mostly it will be weak to average amateurs taking to the felt. From all reports the staff and dealers here are quite good and look after players well.
Ho-Chunk Wisconsin Dells
- LocationBaraboo, Wisconsin
- HoursOpen daily from 10am until 4am
- GamesCash players will find $1 / $2 no limit holdem, $3 / $6 limit holdem and $2 / $5 pot limit Omaha in this poker room. They also run a $5 / $10 limit holdem game on Saturday. If you are looking for tournament play they hold them on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. These are no limit holdem and the buy in ranges from $40 to $90.
- AmbienceThis no smoking poker room is partially separate from the rest of the Casino and features TVs on the walls the to keep you entertained between hands and dark green felt tables that are clean and well maintained. The room is nicely appointed with a modern decor and enough space for it to be comfortable. Over all it's a nice room to play in.
- HospitalityComps can be earned while playing cash games in this poker room at a rate of $1 per hour through the Rewards Club. You'll also get cocktail and food service at the table so you need never miss a hand. Finally, they also offer players the chance to win more through a progressive bad beat jackpot, high hand prizes and some other bonuses.
- PlayersYou'll come across a mix of regulars and visitors in this poker room with the overall play being quite soft. Dealers and staff go out of their way to make you feel comfortable, and you'll always find a $1 / $2 no limit holdem cash game running when they are open. It's well worth a visit if you are in the area and want some poker action.
Lake of the Torches Casino
- LocationLac Du Flambeau, Wisconsin
- HoursOpen Thursday from 4pm until close
- GamesYou will only find a tournament played here on Thursday at 6pm, with registration opening at 4pm.
- AmbienceThis isn't really a poker room; they just offer a weekly tournament. The tables are temporary and are good enough for what is offered here. They have TVs around the room and no smoking is permitted.
- HospitalityYou'll only get basic cocktail service while playing in the tournament at this Casino.
- PlayersIt's hard to say what the other players will be like in the weekly tournament, although overall the field will be quite soft. So, if you can play weekly and have a solid game you should be able to make a tidy profit in the long run. Keep in mind the tournament won't always run, so call ahead to check.
- LocationHayward, Wisconsin
- HoursTuesday, Thursday and Friday from 4pm, Wednesday from 6pm, Saturday from 12pm and Sunday from 10am
- GamesTournaments are held on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday with the games being Pot Limit Omaha on the Sunday, and no limit holdem on the other two days. The buy in for all tournaments is $30. If you are looking for a cash game, you'll find $1 / $2 no limit holdem tables running most of the time.
- AmbienceThis small poker room features TVs on the walls to keep you entertained while you play in a completely non-smoking environment. The decor is plain yet modern with decent lighting and well maintained tables and chairs, so you will be in relative comfort while you play.
- HospitalityYou can earn comps for the buffet based on your cash game play in the poker room, on top of this they also offer cocktail service while you play. You can also get food, but this is available in the room next door and not in the poker room itself. They also offer a progressive bad beat jackpot to keep you coming back for more, especially because you are contributing all those dropped dollars.
- PlayersYou'll come across a mixed bag of players in this room with the play being quite soft in the tournaments and a little bit harder in the cash games. Some regulars take to the tables so make sure you analyse the play for a little while when you sit down to ensure you make the right moves against the right opponents. Staff and dealers are competent and welcoming in this poker room.
- LocationGreen Bay, Wisconsin
- HoursOpen daily from 10am until 4am
- GamesNo limit holdem tournaments are held on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday with the buy in ranging from $35 to $75. For the cash players, they spread $1 / $3 and $2 / $5 no limit holdem, $2 / $5 pot limit Omaha, $3 / $6 limit hold' em and $4 / $8 mixed games.
- AmbienceThis poker room is located at the Airport Drive location of this Casino, and is partially separate and secluded from the rest of the Casino. It features TVs on the walls to keep you entertained while you play, all within a non-smoking environment. The room itself is well appointed and lit well for long session, the green felt tables are clean and well maintained and they have comfortable black seats which are good for long sessions.
- HospitalityYou'll receive cocktail and food service while you play in this poker room and they also rewards cash players with comps at a rate of 35 cents per hour through the Players Club. On top of this they usually run a bad beat jackpot and have high hand prizes.
- PlayersYou'll come across a great mix of players in this room with some serious professionals playing as well as those who like to indulge in the drinks while they play and throw the chips around in every pot. This means you'll get a great cross section of players and should be able to cash in if you take your time and play some solid poker. The dealers here are great and know the game well with very few mistakes. For the best value visit on a weekend evening and enjoy.
Potawatomi Hotel & Casino
- LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin
- Hours24 hours, 7 days
- GamesNo regular tournaments are offered at this Casino poker room, but the mid states poker tour does make a yearly stop if you want some action. Other than that, you'll find some regular cash games including $1 / $3 and $2 / $5 no limit holdem, $5 / $5 and $5 / $10 pot limit Omaha high, $2 / $4, $3 / $6 and $4 / $8 limit holdem, $3 / $5 mixed and $3 / $6 limit Omaha 8s or better.
- AmbienceThis no smoking poker room is open and spacious with pink felt tables and comfortable seats. The bright and colorful patter carpet clashes well with the beige decor in this well-lit room. They have plenty of TVs across the walls so you can stay entertained while you play.
- HospitalityComps can be earned by players in cash games through the Fire Keeper's Club. On top of this they offer cocktail and food service at the table so you need never miss a hand. You'll also be in the running for some more cash with a progressive bad beat jackpot.
- PlayersYou'll come across some decent play in this poker room given the location and size. Sometimes you may need to wait a bit of time for a seat in a game, so be sure to get in early if you don't want to spend too long waiting around. Dealers and management here are great and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable while you play, which is essential these days. For best value visit on the weekends and sit in on some low stakes no limit holdem cash games.
St. Croix Casino Turtle Lake
- LocationTurtle Lake, Wisconsin
- HoursOpen Thursday to Sunday from 10am
- GamesYou'll find tournaments here on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday with the game being pot limit Omaha on Sunday and no limit holdem on Thursday and Saturday. The buy in ranges from $50 up to $75. If you are looking for a cash game you can find $1 / $2 no limit holdem tables running here when they are open.
- AmbienceThis non-smoking poker room is open, spacious and features TVs on the walls to keep you entertained while you play. The tables and chairs are clean and comfortable and the room lighting is at a good level on the eyes for longer sessions.
- HospitalityYou can earn comps through the TLC Player's Club at a rate of 75 cents per hour in cash games. On top of this they offer food and cocktail service at the table so you need never miss a hand. They also run a bad beat jackpot to keep you coming back for more.
- PlayersYou'll come across mostly local regulars and amateur visitors in this poker room which means the play will be somewhere between soft and decent at most times. If you take your time and analyse the table, you should be able to pick up quite quickly who the amateurs are. The staff and dealers in this room are good enough and will provide you with decent customer service as would be expected in a poker room. For the best games visit on Friday and Saturday evenings.
Wisconsin is not only the birthplace of the famous poker player Phil Hellmuth, but it also offers quite a few poker rooms for local players. On your next trip to the state of if you live there and are looking for another poker room use this handy guide to find what you need.